Blast furnace in Červeňany
Mining and metallurgy formed two connected vessels in the Slovak Ore Mountains (Slovenské Rudohorie). Since time immemorial, there have been known low melting furnaces and miliers that have evolved and improved over time. Large forests and rich watercourses also contributed to favorable processing conditions of ore.
Gemer has long been called the "iron stool" or "iron heart" of former Hungary. The advanced technology of metallurgy in Gemer is also documented by the remains of blast furnaces. A perfect example is the blast furnace in Červeňany, one of the most important mining monuments in Gemer and part of the European Iron Trail. This once 13-meter-high quarry stone kiln processed up to 10,000 tons of ore per year. Between 1872 and 1879 around 2 tonnes of pig iron were produced here every year. Throughout its existence, the furnace has produced 675.5 thousand tonnes of pig iron, of which more than 10 thousand tonnes were exported to Austria and the rest was sold on the domestic Hungarian market. The furnace was in operation from 1871 to 1903, when production was discontinued due to the economic crisis in Hungary.
In 1970 the blast furnace was restored by the Slovak Technical Museum. Today, the surroundings of this cultural monument is modified, there are benches and an information board describing the history of ironmaking in Slovakia. It can be found in the village of Červeňany (belonging to the village Sirk) near the main road connecting Hnúšťa with Jelšava.
Address: Červeňany, 049 64, Sirk, SK
GPS: 48.604416, 20.109119