Gemer railway couplings
After the Vienna arbitration on November 2nd, 1938, a large part of the territory of southern Slovakia fell to Hungary. After the capture of the territory by the Hungarian army, difficulties arose in the field of transport in the Gemer-Malohont region, which lost important railway junctions Jesenské, Rimavská Sobota, Tornaľa, Rožňava. This reduced rail traffic in the area. After the declaration of the Slovak State, the design of new roads that would replace the resulting gaps in traffic began.
The new railway line was supposed to connect Tisovec with Slavošovce. Construction of the so-called The Gemerské spojky (Gemer railway couplings ) lasted until the announcement of the Slovak national uprising in August 1944. After the war, the completion was still considered, but since the Czechoslovak Republic was restored within its original borders, the construction was definitively completed in 1949. Currently, elements of this building have been preserved in the country, as well as finished objects that can be visited as a tourist or a cyclist.
They are the Koprášský (Mníšanský) viaduct, the Koprášsky tunnel, the Tunnel under Dielik and the most famous Slavošovský tunnel (Tunel under Homôlka hill), which is open to the public and an official cycle route passes through it. With its length of 2401 m, the tunnel connects two Slovak regions, it is the longest bicycle tunnel in Europe and the third longest in the world.
The SlavošovceTunnel (Tunel pod Homôlkou) is fully accessible and is crossed by the official cycle route, which with its length of 2401 meters makes it the longest cycle tunnel in Europe and the third longest in the world.
Compared to the more famous Slavošovce neighbor, the Koprášsky tunnel is much shorter, its length is less than 250 m. However, it is possible to go through it without artificial lighting.
Tunnel under Dielik
Today, this 2-kilometer tunnel is partially flooded and since 1997 has been declared a protected area to protect the wintering ground for bats. The Tisovec portal is completely flooded, but the Muráň portal is worth a turn, which is, depending on the weather, accessible from the blue tourist sign leading from Muráň to Tisovec.
Koprášský (Mníšanský) viaduct
The bridge is accessible from the village of Magnezitovce, and its visit can be combined with the passage of the nearby Koprášsky and Slavošovský tunnels, which lie on the same unreachable railway route.